Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Happy Pay Gap Day - I Mean, Oops, Equal Pay Day

A new study from the American Association of University Women finds that just a year after graduating from college, women earn just 80 percent of what men make. Ten years down the line, women make 69 percent of what men earn.

The finding comes at an interesting moment, given the popular argument that women earn less simply because of their lifestyle choices. Check out Broadsheet's trademark savvy reporting on the study for more.

And while we're on it, a few excerpts from a "pop quiz" I'm developing in conjunction with my book - because I'm always surprised at how often women ourselves overestimate how we, as a sex, are doing. Go on, take the little test. No one's looking. I'll post answers tomorrow.

In 2007, for every dollar a man earns, a woman earns:

A. the same
B. 84 cents
C. 77 cents
D. 56 cents

In 2007, women make up what percent of the U.S. Senate?

A. 3%
B. 14%
C. 33%
D. 50%

In 2007, what percent of women are tenured professors?

A. 7%
B. 16%
C. 20%
D. 50%

In 2007, what percent of Fortune 500 CEOs are women?

A. 8%
B. 15%
C. 26%
D. 50%

(Answers posted tomorrow!)

2 comments:

Alison Piepmeier said...

This would be a great quiz to give students early in the semester in an intro Women's and Gender Studies course. Maybe I'll do that.

This AAUW report inspired a number of my graduating senior WGS minors today to ask me about how to negotiate for higher pay, and we had a great conversation about how advocating for yourself is a feminist act.

Deborah Siegel said...

Hey Alison,

Thanks for your comment! I can send you the whole quiz if ya like :) On the negotiation front, the Woodhull Institute younger women's retreats include a module on negotiation that I'd highly recommend. And you know that book, Women Don't Ask: Gender and the Negotiation Divide? You likely do, but if not, read it and weep.