Friday, August 17, 2007

Goodbye, GreenStone...


This morning I was a guest on the final airing of The Lisa Birnbach Show, along with Gloria Feldt, Courtney Martin, and, by phone, Gloria Steinem. I was honored to be flanked by the Glorias and Courtney, and our intergenerational conversation about feminism was a great practice run of the panel we're putting together and taking on the road. I accidentally said "damn" (as in "Women become more radical with age, but I also know lots of damn radical young women") on the air and then immediately wondered if you are allowed to say "damn" on the radio.

Though we all looked hot in our celebratory pink feather boas, it was a sad sad day, as GreenStone Media, the show's short-lived parent company, is closing down. Lisa (pictured above) is a witty, wise, charismatic talk radio host who makes you feel like you're chatting in her living room. She's had some incredible guests, mainstream and radical activisty alike, and she has great shoes. The idea and existence of GreenStone -- talk radio for women -- held such promise. I know Lisa will land on her feet, and wherever she goes will be damn lucky to have her. Oops. There I go again.

Goodbye, GreenStone. Thank you for having me, and thank you, most of all, for trying. We'll miss you like crazy.

No comments: