Monday, September 24, 2007

I Heart Katha Pollitt

So Nation columnist Katha Pollitt just published her first collection of personal essays, Learning to Drive: And Other Life Stories Here are my favorite Katha quips from Deborah Solomon's interview with her in yesterday's New York Times:
Deborah Solomon: Do you think feminism has been disfigured by consumerism? To certain women out there, feminism seems to mean buying what you want instead of being what you want.

Katha Pollitt: Young women live these contradictions and everyone's down on them because their skirts are too short. I don't blame them if sometimes they want to go shopping. Women don't buy more junk than men.

DS: Are you a Hillary supporter?

KP: In this country we have a real problem with women and power. If people don't stop saying incredibly sexist things about Hillary Clinton, I may just have to vote for her.


Put that in your pipe and smoke it. (Katha: I'm starting to agree.)

No comments: