Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Young Women for Hillary

Back in September, I posted on those Gallup polls that found younger women supporting Hillary in greater numbers than older women. Remember those polls? Dana Goldstein at The American Prospect did a nice report on younger women's Hillary enthusiasm a while ago too. In Iowa, things went the other way. Whether this trend play out nationally remains to be seen. But folks are already talking that way. Writes Gloria Steinem in today's NYTimes op-ed:
"What worries me is that some women, perhaps especially younger ones, hope to deny or escape the sexual caste system; thus Iowa women over 50 and 60, who disproportionately supported Senator Clinton, proved once again that women are the one group that grows more radical with age."

That older women are more radical argument--I just don't want to believe it! And today, this young(ish) woman is coming out with an announcement: I'm supporting Hillary. I join Veronica--see comments in post below. Yesterday's "iron my shirt" assholes being one--but just one--of the things that pushed me over the edge. (Addendum: And if you think those hecklers were isolates, see comments, below.)

Gloria is supporting Hillary too. Says she:
"I’m supporting Senator Clinton because like Senator Obama she has community organizing experience, but she also has more years in the Senate, an unprecedented eight years of on-the-job training in the White House, no masculinity to prove, the potential to tap a huge reservoir of this country’s talent by her example, and now even the courage to break the no-tears rule. I’m not opposing Mr. Obama; if he’s the nominee, I’ll volunteer. Indeed, if you look at votes during their two-year overlap in the Senate, they were the same more than 90 percent of the time. Besides, to clean up the mess left by President Bush, we may need two terms of President Clinton and two of President Obama."

Here's to two terms for Hillary, two for Obama. And hell, if Edwards is man enough to take back his real-politicians-don't-cry comment, two for him then too.

8 comments:

Deborah Siegel said...

Are you SERIOUS? I'm leaving this comment up, because I want to share my disgust and disbelief.

Veronica said...

Forgive me for puking in your comments, D.

*puke*

If someone yelled a racist comment to Obama it would be all over the news. Yesterday, all the media wanted to talk about was Clinton "crying."

ARGH!!!!!!!!

Anne Libby said...

Hilary showed leadership, as far as I'm concerned, by showing distress about the situation in this country.

As Americans, we don't think of ourselves as people who torture human beings.

Yet it seems highly possible -- if not probable -- that this is exactly what is happening.

And because our elected officials are letting this happening, WE are doing it.

This is worth crying about.

(And the Edwards comments about necessary qualities of a commander-in-chief? He may as well have used the phrase "stay the course". Exactly how we've become so disconnected from our American soul.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you need to move back to Chicago, pronto! O-Ba-MA!

Deborah Siegel said...

You said it, Anne. Nicely put. Katka: I know. I dig Obama too. And if he wins, I will be out there actively campaigning for him. But I'm voting for Hill in the primary.

Anonymous said...

And I, like the rest of your home state, will be voting for Barack. Did I mention I shook his hand once? Hill doesn't do it for me. I'm too scared she's going to restart the Cold War. Love her on domestic policy, though. And admittedly, I'm not sure about Barack on women's issues. But I saw him at a U of I event before he even was senator, and he is awesome, and one of the best voices in favor of rhetoric that I've seen in a long time.

Unknown said...

Say-one-thing-and-do-another is Obama's weakness. In 2002 he made an anti-war speech. But when he became a senator in 2005, he has voted along with Clinton for some $300 billion in war funding.
No experience, No voting against Bush's war, Nothing to show for fighting the vast right-wing conspiracy, No negative bias from the media, and definitely no JFK!
http://www.AmericaIsForWomenToo.com

Anonymous said...

情趣用品,跳蛋
情境坊歡愉用品
,跳蛋
情惑用品性易購
,跳蛋情人性易購,按摩棒
,情惑用品性易購,跳蛋,按摩棒,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,視訊聊天.情人視訊網,免費視訊聊天室,視訊美女,辣妹視訊,聊天室,聊天室交友,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天室