Friday, October 12, 2007

'Fessing Up about Finances over at NYTimes Blog

In response to Shifting Careers blogger Marci Alboher's recent profile, a reader wrote in to ask how free agents--like me--make ends meet. Do we have inheritances? Divorce settlements? Lottery winnings? Would that it were true!

Marci posted my response today, here, and I thought I'd expand on it a bit. I earn my living freelancing for magazines, writing books, giving talks, consulting for organizations, and teaching (sign up for my online course, "Making It Pop: Translating Your Ideas for Trade"!). You could say I live a life of improv. I don't always know where a venture is leading me, but I've learned to have tremendous faith in the journey and to trust my instincts. It's been well worth the ride so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what wouldn't I give to make a living out of doing the same things you do!

Deborah Siegel said...

Yeah, it's kind of month to month... But I feel very lucky to be doing what I'm doing, risk notwithstanding...