Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Tips on Writing for Trade--The 7 Questions

So it's the part of my Making It Pop seminar where participants are starting to really work on their book proposals. Thought I'd post the questions here that I urge folks to answer BEFORE sitting down to write, for those of you working on your props right now, too. Here we go:

1. In one sentence, what is this book about? (If you're an academic or wonkily-inclined writer, be careful to phrase this in a way that will appeal to nonacademic readers)
2. What is your argument? (What is your thesis?) If you don’t yet have an argument, for now, answer this instead: What is the main question driving your book?
3. What’s new about this book? How is it different from existing books?
4. Why are you the person to write it?
5. Why is now the time to publish it?
6. Who is going to read it? Why will they find it appealing?
7. How will your book be organized? What is its structure?

Very likely however, you, like me, are thinking about turkey and stuffing right about now, and, in case I don't get back here much over the next few days, I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

(Image cred.)

No comments: