Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Hello, Kansas City!

One of the places I'm headed for Women's History Month this March is Kansas City! I'm particularly excited, because the only other time I was in Missouri was in grade school, when my class drove down from Illinois to check out the haunts of Mark Twain. I can't wait to go back, as a grown up (well, sort of) and see the place for real.

Here's a description of what I'll be doing there this time:

"In this talk, Deborah Siegel, author of Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild, takes a fresh look at the fights and frenzies around U.S. feminism across four decades. From WITCH (Women’s International Terrorist Conspiracy from Hell) to Bitch magazine, much has changed in the world of feminism, its rhetorics, and its fights. But far more has stayed the same. Women young and old sometimes lose sight of how and why, or fail to see each other as engaged in the same larger battle. Instead, we are left fighting ourselves. Siegel reaches across the generational divide to show how younger women are both reliving the battles of feminism’s past, and reinventing it – with a vengeance."

I wonder what Becky Thatcher would have to say about it all....

No comments: