Friday, June 20, 2008

Gotta Get a Get

This week I was interviewed for a Page 6 story (by a writer I trust!) on divorce parties. Yep, word has gotten out that I had me one of those, and you can soon, gulp, read about it in the New York Post a week from this Sunday. In the meantime, here's an interesting post from Rebecca Honig Friedman over at Jewess about Jewish women writing their own get (the Jewish divorce certificate). That would have been a nice thing to do, seeing as how my Jewish divorce experience was far more painful than the civil one, just because of the way it's traditionally set up. What saved me? Bringing Daphne to the "unceremony" with me. Daph sat by my side and reminded me it was just a role in an ancient play. But that whole get experience was what prompted me to reclaim the ritual by staging a little ritual of my own invention which...well, more bout that on Page 6!

1 comment:

Joyous Jewess said...

Hey Deborah,

Sounds interesting! I hope you'll post the article here at GWP when it comes out.

In the meantime, I thought you might be interested in an article that my husband and I wrote together about the get experience. We were both previously married and both had horrible (but differently horrible) experiences getting our Jewish divorces, so we wrote a piece suggesting how the Jewish community might reimagine what this ritual looks like. (It's not scintillating prose, but I think we make some decent suggestions!). You can see it here.