Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Calgon Take Me Away

Ok, so my expectations for a week-long writing retreat were, dare I say, rather grand. The reality? I'm struggling. But trying to cultivate compassion and not harsh on myself too much.

The lesson here, I feel, is not so much be careful what you wish for, but be flexible. If one tactic for getting into what you're working on doesn't work, try another...right?

So today I'm working on a commentary that's due, and that's also connected to my chapter's argument. Bird by bird, as dear ole Anne Lamott would say, bird by bird.

Anyone care to share their I-was-stuck-but-now-I'm-found writing story? I'm listenin'.

Image cred

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Physical activity like jogging or staining wood for the deck in progress is a good way to induce some freethinking on a story.

The novel I am working on benefitted from a stroll through the folklore section in the children's end of the library because my characters are Irish immigrants and I thought maybe reading about the Little People and such would jump start me.

I found some excellent things that just might work.

Letting my husband read and write questions in the margins is also a good way to find the road again.

I often use block time to blog ahead. Memes and song lyric days - nothing like youtube music videos of songs you haven't heard since you were a kid or teen to loosen the writing brain cells