Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Girl President Obsession, Continued...

I know I'm starting to sound like a Hillary supporter over here. Full disclosure: I am still undecided, as my feelings keep evolving. But I'm just riveted by the spectacle of her running. Not merely *her* running, but the fact that a viable woman candidate is.

So check this out: According to the most recent Newsweek poll (61,093 responses, 51% believe American voters would elect a woman to the White House in 2008, while 41% do not (8.4% aren't sure). Everyone I talk to around this town these days (and granted, I'm talking about a rarefied urban island) seems to feel a woman can't win. The Newsweek poll is (as they themselves note) not scientific. Has anyone seen a recent one that is?

2 comments:

Veronica said...

I haven't seen a recent poll either, but I did hear that she's up on Obama by 20 points.

I'm also undecided but super excited that a woman is in the lead.

Deborah Siegel said...

V - I wonder what Obama/Hillary sentiment is where you are, in hometown Chicago...is there any sense at all over there that Hillary is a hometown girl?