Sunday, February 10, 2008

Young Voters By the Numbers

Some quick stats on "the youth vote" on Super Tuesday, culled from various sources:

More than 3 million voters under the age of 30 flooding the polls on Super Tuesday, turning out in record numbers in more than 20 states.

Exit polls showed that in almost every state, youth voter turnout increased significantly from 2000 and 2004.

In Tennessee the number of people between the ages of 18-to-29 who voted more than quadrupled.

In Georgia, young voters tripled their turnout this year.

In California, more than 850,000 voters under 30 cast ballots.

Obama won the youth vote in 19 of the 22 states that voted on Super Tuesday.

Nationwide, Obama netted 59 percent of voters under 30 years old, while Clinton was supported by 38 percent.

Young men supported Obama by a margin of 64 to 33 percent over Clinton.

Young women supported Obama by 53 to 45 percent.

It's this last stat I'm most interested in. But believe me, not in the young-women-who-don't-vote-Hillary-are-traitors kind of way.

(Image cred - Rock the Vote)

4 comments:

Peckish Adventurer said...

Barack Obama is the face of a change in politics. He speaks in terms of "We" rather than "I," which I find enormously refreshing. It's also how youth in America have been taught. Our parents spent time in desks, with rote memorization, whereas I worked in groups using many kinds of media. Teachers lectured less frequently, and encouraged group discussion. Essentially, Barack Obama has invited the youth of America to participate in one giant group presentation...This is Our America.

Deborah Siegel said...

Thank you for your comment, Amanda! I think your observations about this are fascinating --and spot on. Keep me posted on your thinking. I'd love to hear more about how you perceive the finepoints of Obama's amazing appeal.

Carol Keefer said...

Would you please add permalinks to your posts? I know its not your problem that I am trying to use my blog as a personal archive of links to use in the future for research purposes. Anyway, one of my posts is feminist commentaries on political variables. I want to link to this particular post because of the youth and feminisms issue and its possible effect on voting. Blogspot does offer Help with an advanced search for permalinks.

I am 45 years old so I am not young like you and Deborah Seigel but I like feminist critical thought about politics. Obama might stand for change, but I think Hillary stands for choice. Her speech in El Paso mentioned that kind of empowerment for people, her ability to generate choices which might put a stop to Obama's momentum. Thank you for the links in your blog.

Deborah Siegel said...

Hi Carol,
Thanks for the heads up! I'm horrified--I actually thought I had the permalink feature all figured out, but it seems I don't. Off to figure out what's wrong! Happy, of course, to include them. I'm not so young anymore myself - 39 tomorrow! - but I do see why Obama is appealing. I voted for Hillary though and stand behind my gal.