Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hello from the airport!

So I return from my traveling bubble to find headlines here ablaze, of course, with Eliot Spitzer (why can't these powerful men just keep it in their pants?) and Geraldline Ferraro's comments about Barack Obama (why oh why). Meanwhile, The Guardian reports this morning that for the first time, the four key members of the Treasury committee that is working with chancellor Alistair Darling to shape the budget are women. The article begins with a cutesy little zinger:

"After Blair's babes, meet Darling's darlings."

Guess the US ain't the only one with issues around women taking charge. You'd think they'd be used to it, with all those queens. The rest of the piece is great, but why must we start with babes and darlings, I ask. Sigh. I was really enjoying my temporary news blackout yesterday.

No comments: